SBCKiteboard.COM Twitter SBCKiteboard.COM Facebook
Around the world in weeks - part 3 / BVI Kite Jam

While I was having a few little problems on my trip from Cabo Verde to the BVIs due to a snow chaos at the Frankfurt Airport I still made it there in time for the BVI Kite Jam and was really stoked to be back for the events second year!

There are not many events that are worth such a long trip but this one certainly was... it turned out amazing once again and maybe even a little bit more special than last year  since this year we ended up having much more wind and the Kite Jam crew had added a few little extra goodies for us too! :)

During the event we again all stayed on the Sunsail catamarans and I was lucky enough to stay on one together with my friend Linda Argila from New York, with event photographer Chris and his wife Vera as well as Cape Air lady Kim and her husband Hank. With our great crew ready to go we sailed to the North Sound on day one and  got in the first kite session before the official opening party at Saba Rock... The next morning we sailed over to Necker and spent the morning kiting around the island in the "Necker race"...a pretty awesome experience and the first time I ever kited around an island! We then had a big air competition afterward in which Shannon (Best) won a whole case of  Necker champagne (that we got to enjoy during the week) and as a very nice reward we also got the most amazing lunch presented... delicious fresh sushi on little boats in the pool... pretty posh really.. :)

In the afternoon we sailed over to Anegada where we stayed for the next 3 days... kiting every day at Cow Wreck Beach, doing downwinders, fun competitions for Pro's and Am's and giving some coaching clinics and then partying every evening at the Anegada Reef Hotel. The 3 theme parties... (Tight&Bright party, Finlandia Tribal Party and K&J party) gave the evenings a very special spin and with everyone dressed up funny we all had an absolute blast.

For the last 2 days we headed back to the North Sound where we unfortunately didn't have any more wind so we ended up wakeboarding and stand up paddle boarding. For the last evening we went back to Necker Island for an amazing closing party and prize giving. The night turned out to be so much fun (with such amazing and beautiful people) that I never got to sleep that night, catching my speed boat to the airport at 6am and sleeping the whole way to NY (I literally just woke up to check in and change flights).

Once again I had the most amazing time at the BVI Kite Jam and a want to send a huge thanks and send big hugs to Abby, Scotty, Charlie, Laurel and Richard. You have been putting together a truly special event again that is different to any other kite event I know and brings together a bunch of super interesting and passionate people.

Next up is our first KB4girls event of the season on Boracay/Philippines and I have to make all my connections to actually make it there in time... so stay tuned! ;)

Posted: March 16, 2011 at 02:53 PM
By: John Bryja
(0) Comment/s
Around the world in 4 weeks - part 2 / Cabo Verde

Yep, next up was Cabo Verde and while I had been there about 12 years ago for the Camel Trophy (adventure race) I had never been there to kite... I had only heard all those amazing things and of course had talked to Mitu a lot, so I was very much looking forward to check out Sal myself. All in all it was of course a business trip, stuffed with meetings and topped off with photo shoots as the Best Odyssey was on Sal at the same time. <hr id="system-readmore" />

From the moment I got there everything was an adventure.. the car tire of my taxi burst on the way from the airport, the driver had no idea where my apartment was and when I finally got there there was no electricity and no water... for the next 7 days I was going to sit under a tree whenever I needed to "use" (someone else's) internet and walking around town at night on my own was a bit scary at first...

I totally loved it however and while I spent a lot of time with Mitu and Nicole, attending a few meetings and kiting some awesome spots together, I also got to hang out with my friend Thomas Beckmann and his girlfriend Didi and then got to see Rob Born and his lovely wife Kelly again when finally getting on board the Discovery at the end of my trip. That of course was super exciting in itself... seeing Sal from a completely different perspective and getting to kite spots that I had not gotten to kite before.

Looking back I can say that during my 10 days I was super lucky... we had some amazing conditions and I got to ride some awesome, pealing lefts while then scoring Ponta Preta and Ali Baba (rights) a couple of days later. On top of that a lot of other exciting things happened and I am quite positive to be back on Sal very soon... not on my own the next time around! :)

I simply had a blast on Cabo Verde and while this usually might be hard to beat I think next week will at least come VERY close to it.. ;)
Stay tuned!

Posted: March 7, 2011 at 09:04 AM
By: John Bryja
(0) Comment/s
Around the world in 4 weeks - Part 1 / Germany

After I got to spend the past six weeks at "home" in Australia and at least five of them stuck behind the computer it is now the other extreme that is calling again... a crazy travel schedule. Already my departure turned out crazy enough when I forgot something important at home and had to turn around after half an hour into the drive.

I was already on a tight schedule on my departure day... get up at 7 (after only 4 hours of sleep), drive up to Perth (4 hours),  meet Anthony from "Kite Life" (a TV series on FOX Australia) for an interview (1 hour), drop of our car to sell (1 hour) and ship some packages from a post office in Perth (half an hour) before checking in at 2pm at the latest....

I somehow managed to make everything just in time as always and once again sat down in the airplane exhausted and ready for a shower. While I don't particularly like flying anymore there ARE some things I DO like about sitting on a long distance flight -I get to lean back and relax and the chance to catch up with the e-mails I did not get a chance to reply to before. And it was right there that the first amazing thing of the journey happened to me - on my Singapore Airlines flight to Singapore I found a plug (yes, a REAL plug!) in the armrest between all the 4 chairs that I had all for myself! Space AND the possibility to work 6 hours straight! What a blessing!

Eventually I made it to Germany and even caught 5 hours of sleep on my flight from Singapore to Frankfurt. In Berlin I jumped into  the rental car (kindly payed for by Kiehl's - thank you! :) ), went to the doctors appointment that I had scheduled via e-mail a few days before and then drove straight to a meeting in Magdeburg (1.5 hours drive). It was a meeting concerning our KSP tour which I was very excited about and which turned out to be extremely interesting and productive.

With the IKA's decision and announcement having been released only 2 days earlier Mitu, Guilly, Sky and I were extremely excited to be able to take the KSP wave world tour to the next level but of course that also comes with the price of hard work and - in my case  - an even crazier travel schedule. I ended up having another meeting and quite a few phone calls concerning the KSP during my 3  days in Germany. The input so far is amazing and the support overwhelming. If you have not heard about it yet you can read all about
it at:

The real reason and original reason for me to fly to Germany however was a photoshoot with Kiehl's for one of their charity projects. I am always super stoked when I can help through any kind of charity programs and already 2 years ago I cooperated with Kiehl's  by designing a post card for a set they put together benefiting the World AIDS day. This time the benefiting charity was the ARCHE, a Germany based foundation that helps disabled children and their families. The idea was therefore to reach out to adults by reminding them of their childhood and the importance of that part of life.

Five celebrities from Germany (all actors and singers) and myself were invited to shoot with one of the most popular German photographers Nela Koenig and what were we shooting? Of course our childhood memories! We were asked to bring old toys and other things we had kept from our early years and I had asked my mum if they still have any of my old things in the basement. When I came home I was pretty taken  aback when I found my very favorite toys lying on the table and wow, I certainly felt set back in time for a moment there. It was then awesome to go to the shoot with all those toys I still felt so connected to and to actually be featured in a picture (which will end up as a billboard) together
with them! :)

The shoot turned out super fun, especially since I was meant to play my young me and was "riding" on an old East German bike in old  East German clothes, imitating a situation from back when I was 6 or 7. The crew was super cool, Nela great to shoot with and it was great to finally meet Lana from Kiehl's in person too after we had been working together on different things already. Kiehl's is also one of the  founding sponsors of KB4girls and don't only have the greatest natural cosmetic products but are also a truly inspiring company since they support those in need wherever they can.

So all in all a very successfull, memorizable 3 days in Germany in which I was still able to find some hours for my family and now it is off for to my next stop on my journey around the world - Cabo Verde! We got some meetings set up there too and you can guess for what... ;). I will let you know how we go and what my next stop on my journey is going to be soon, so stay tuned! :)

Best for now,

Lana and Nela checking out some of the pics
Kristin Boese

Nela shooting more of them
Kristin Boese

and yes, in case you were wondering, I am SUPPOSED to look dirty! ;)

and some of the ARCHE kids came too!

And it even snowed a tiny little bit while I was in Berlin!

Posted: February 15, 2011 at 01:58 PM
By: John Bryja
(0) Comment/s
cyclone bianca, the big swell and the couch potato

Things are going crazy here it seems... we have a cyclon warning going on and had a huge swell yesterday and today (with more to come I am sure). Now, the unusual thing about that NEVER usually are ANY cyclons in the south west corner of Australia and they say it is because the water temperature is warmer than usual

So while the water on the east coast is COLDER than normal (that is apparantly why we did not get any wind for the world cup in December) it is WARMER here? Well, that seems kind of odd and is hard to understand but what is also a bit scary is that they are forecasting strong rain and possible floods. It seems like Australia's nature is quite furiouse lately and I can somehow understand why.

Just the other day Sky told me that they were towing an oil platform past our prestine coastline and while people here have been demonstrating and signing petitions to do everything possible to prevent oil drilling off the shores of South Western Australia it seems like their efforts have not been very successful.. Also the coal mining down here is a big thread and it is sad to see what is done to those few places around the world that ARE still beautiful and intact. How would nature not get furious?

On the other hand side I am supposed to report about my life as a pro here but am afraid that there is not much to report right now. I have left the house a total of 2 times in the past 10 days and have been working on this crazy website here about 18 hours a day... I really hope that you girls are going to like it, appreciate it and more likely USE it! :)

Yesterday I did go to the beach because of the big swell that was hitting the coast here and I was stressing to get some things finished on the page and for the 2011 tour schedule to get to the beach as soon as possilbe. When I finally got to the beach at just before 3pm everyone was kiting and it looked fun (even though quite crumbly...). I got out my kite and board and was super excited to get some excercise and a nice kite session in! But wrong... a minute later all the kites started falling out of the sky and the wind had gone offshore (usually does not happen before 5pm here).

I was a bit bummed, jumped in the water anyways to at least get wet and went back to the couch where I am now still sitting... to get everything ready for the big release on the 1st! Not feeling like a pro-kiter at all right now... more like a couch potato. Undecided

Cheerio for now you gals,

talk soon!


Posted: January 28, 2011 at 06:36 AM
By: John Bryja
(0) Comment/s

RSS Feed | Kristin Boese's Blog

Editor's Video Picks!





What's Hot!!!


Download Kiteboard Desktop App

Newsletter Signup